11.25.2010

Thoughts on the Chevy Volt

Drove the Chevy Volt yesterday and a couple people asked what I thought of it so here you go (originally a reply to my status):

Size and general niceness seemed like a higher tier Civic. The touch screen interface was a nice touch (although I would expect nothing less from a $41,000 car.) The only interior gripe would be that the back seat is a little small and the seats are quite high (you sit on top of the back of the battery pack) so not a ton of headroom for me. It only seats two in the back so at least you have enough room laterally. It is quick off the line, feels planted and decently nimble in the corners. Nothing like the jumpy and floaty feeling you sometimes get in the Prius. That's probably because of the considerably larger battery and heavier car. The silence when driving around town is fantastic and again the cabin is nice and insulated and well appointed especially for a smallish Chevy.

All in I think they have done a good job making compromises addressing the concerns about the range of electric cars (real or perceived) with the serial hybrid system. This is a car that could be used as your only car in super efficient and quiet electric mode in daily use (if you drive like most of us do less than 40 miles a day) and then you can fill it up and drive to Tahoe/Maine/New York/Yosemite/Canada, whatever constitutes a road trip for you.

Only time and sales figures will tell what the rest of the country thinks about it and if anyone not already in the market for a hybrid will even consider it. I think it is very interesting and dare I say it cool from a technology standpoint. That's a pretty impressive thing to say about a car made by GM.

That went on longer than I thought but there are my thoughts.

No comments: