7.29.2005

four.languages

A friend just got back from Germany yesterday night. I had forgotten but he is fluent in three languages and can understand at least two more. Spanish, English, German, French, and Italian. I can barely speak English well enough to get by. It's funny but my parents have commented that they wish I would have learned Spanish at least as a child when the language learning centers of the brain are soft and moldable like a lump of clay. Of course I like to remind them that it was probably up to them to find me situations that I could be exposed to other languages. Regardless it is good to see friends returning.

At the same time I had to say farewell to another friend as she heads off to London for two weeks on a trip to spend time with the Muslim women in the city. My prayers are with her and I can't wait to hear stories and see pictures.

No comments: