7.28.2005

roommates.found

I was recently in something of a frustrating housing situation. I realize that this is nothing compared to the standard housing crisis experienced by the average San Franciscan but I'm going to tell the story anyway. First the background.

It was cold and stormy night...No, but I'm sure the weather wasn't all that nice. My friend Tom mentioned that he was planning to by a house much closer to Boston to cut down on commuting and be closer to friends in the city. At the time there were passing remarks that if we we're looking for a place to live we could possibly live with him. Months went by and he announces that he has found a 2 family place in Somerville and that he is going to rent out the 2 bedroom apt and live in the 3 bedroom himself. At this point he mentions that one of my current roommates is planning on renting the other apartment from him. That was news to me.

Meanwhile, Ernie got into Medical School so he was going to be leaving as well. So Rob and I talk to Tom and he says yeah it would be great to live with you guys. And all seems right with the world. Then we begin to realize that Watertown is much more convenient for us in terms of getting to work, parking, not having to move, that sorta thing. So we begin to entertain the idea of staying put and winding two new roommates. Mind you that at this point our lease is up in less that a month and we haven't even decided to start looking.

That just about brings us to the present. With less than a week left to find two people to live with for the next year craig's list comes through and he's not even a psycho. So now my moving weekend will consist of (potentially) changing rooms, helping the new guys move in, and helping Tom and Carrie move into their respective new places. Much nicer since I still get to come home to my house essentially as I left it.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Yeah, I hate frustrating housing situations too